The Importance of Reading Food Labels
March is national Nutrition Month! Making better food choices while grocery shopping is a key to long-term weight loss and to set you up for success we’ve created a “Food Label Cheat Sheet” you can take along for your next supermarket trip!
Important things to remember when reading the ingredient list:
- Ingredients are listed in descending order of quantity or predominance.
- Some ingredients have several
- Sugar (at least 61 different names): high fructose corn syrup, brown sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, inverted sugar, molasses, salt sugar, syrup, sugar molecules ending in “ose” (sucrose), honey, agave syrup, coconut sugar, turbinado sugar . . .
- Sodium: sodium bicarbonate, rock salt, Himalayan salt, disodium guanylate, monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium phosphate, sea salt, disodium
- Trans fat: partially hydrogenated oil
- Refined flour: enriched wheat flour, unbleached wheat flour, unbromated wheat flour, wheat flour, multi-grain, stone ground, seven grain, cracked wheat
- Whole Grain: bulgur, millet, buckwheat, oatmeal, oats, brown rice, barley
Having a balanced, portion controlled diet is just one of the things you will learn with the Orbera Weight Loss Program. To learn more about how you can lose up to 3X the weight of diet and exercise alone, find an Orbera specialist in your area today!